MYCITY BATTLE CREEK FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS.
Applications for the 2019 MyCITY Battle Creek Summer Youth Employment Program OPEN on Monday, March 18, 2019 and will CLOSE on Friday, April 26, 2019.
Selection into MyCITY Battle Creek will be chosen at random by an unaffiliated third-party entity from a list of all eligible applicants. The random drawing process will be completed in early May. All MyCITY Battle Creek applicants will be contacted via email, within 5-7 business days of the random drawing process, with additional information about the next steps. Completing the application does not guarantee eligibility or participation in the program.
Eligibility for the program will be assessed after the online application is complete, the required documents have been uploaded, and MyCITY staff have reviewed and accepted all submissions. YOU reserves the right to limit participation based on available employment opportunities. If selected for MyCITY Battle Creek, you will be notified by email.
To complete the on-line application, you will need the following information:
- Name and home street address
- Applicant phone number as well as parent/guardian phone number if under the age of 18
- Valid email address (email address must be unique for each applicant and different from the Parent/Guardian email)
- Eligibility documents (see required documents question below) ready for upload to the MyCITY Online Portal
- Be able to answer questions regarding school status and name of school attending
- Be able to answer questions related to your career interests and plans beyond high school
Do I need my parent/guardian with me to apply?
A parent/guardian signature is not required during the application process but will be required for participants under the age of 18 prior to being placed into your paid internship.
When does the online application open, how will I apply?
- The ONLINE application opens on March 18, 2019 and closes on April 26, 2019
- All applications must be completed ONLINE. To complete the application, you will need a computer or other device that is connected to the internet.
- You will find the ONLINE application link at www.kresa.org/mycity
Who can participate in the 2019 MyCITY Battle Creek Summer Youth Employment Program?
- You must be in the 9th or 10th grade in the 19-20 school year.
- You must attend a Battle Creek Public School or live within the Battle Creek's area.
- You must be, at least age 14 by July 1, 2019.
When is the 2019 program, and how long will it last?
- Eligibility determinations, registration and internship placement will be taking place from April 2019-June 2019
- MyCITY Battle Creek will run for 6 weeks, from July 1, 2019 through August 9, 2019
I don’t have a computer at home. How will I apply online?
- Open computer lab hours with application assistance will be available at Michigan Works (200 W. Van Buren St) on April 2, 2019 from 5pm-7pm and on April 16, 2019 from 5-7pm.
- If you have a smartphone, or a phone with internet access, you may be able to complete the application process using the phone even if you do not have a computer.
What if I don’t have a social security card?
A Social Security card is required for being placed into a job. You MUST have your social security card to complete the eligibility process. For additional information on how to obtain a social security card please visit www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/
If you have applied for a new or replacement Social Security card but have not received the Social Security card at the time of uploading your documents to MyCityYOU.org, you may upload the receipt received from the Social Security office showing that you have applied for a new (replacement) card. Please Note: the actual Social Security card will be required no later than June 21, 2019.
If you need financial assistance obtaining eligibility documents, please contact Michigan Works at 269-660-1415.
I don’t have an email address? How can I get one?
- You can sign up for a free email address through many different email providers such as: Google, Yahoo, and Hotmail.
- The email address is how MyCITY staff will communicate with you after completing the ONLINE application so be sure to check your email inbox often.
My parent/guardian doesn’t want me to have an email account.
Email is the fastest and easiest way for you to apply and stay connected with us. MyCITY Battle Creek only uses email addresses and phone numbers to contact you about employment and other opportunities available through YOU.
If I apply, what other documents will I need to participate in the program?
The online application requires that you upload the following:
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card (must be signed by the applicant)
- ID(may be a Michigan ID or a School ID or Report Card (must be from the 2018-2019 school year)
I don’t have a certified copy of my birth certificate. How can I get one?
- If you were born in Calhoun County, you may get a copy of your birth certificate from the Calhoun County Court House,
- If born in another state, you will find additional information at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w/index.htm
- If you need financial assistance obtaining eligibility documents, please contact Michigan Works at 269-660-1415.
How will I be paid if selected to participate in MyCITY Battle Creek?
You will be paid bi-weekly according to the Battle Creek RESA pay schedule. Specifics regarding pay dates will be provided during the orientations which are scheduled closer to the start date of the program.
Will there be a background check?
Yes, a background check will be conducted on all youth selected into MyCITY Battle Creek.
Once I complete the ONLINE application process, what happens next?
The ONLINE application is a two-step process. Step one is to complete the application questions and step two requires the uploading of eligibility documents. Once step one is complete, you will be automatically directed to the eligibility document screen (step 2). All documents for step 2 must be uploaded prior to the closing of applications on April 26, 2019. You may upload the eligibility documents at any time between the date of completing step 1 or the application and April 26, 2019 by logging into the MyCITY online portal using your email address and password
How many jobs are there?
The number of jobs depends on numerous factors still being worked on. No matter the number of jobs, you still must register. However, registering does not guarantee you a job – there may be more applicants than jobs.
What kind of jobs are there?
You will receive additional information regarding available sites, schedules, and job duties as the internship sites are finalized.
Do I get paid for Holiday?
No. Youth will only be paid for hours actually worked.
Am I guaranteed a job placement once I apply?
No, placement is not guaranteed. Placement will be determined by the number of applicants that submit documentation and a random selection process. MyCITY Battle Creek reserves the right to limit participation based on available employment opportunities.
Is there a waiting list for Jobs?
There may be, but it depends on the number of applicants applying and available positions.
How can I get more information?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions
- Call Michigan Works - YOU between 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday at 269-660-1415